Learn about tenant protections during the pandemic
At the beginning of the pandemic, we at Causa Justa :: Just Cause together with our allies and tenants like you fought to win some of the best eviction protections in the country. Oakland tenants are now covered by the Oakland Evictions Moratorium and the Alameda County Evictions Moratorium, in addition to state and federal laws.
- The Oakland and Alameda County Eviction Moratoriums both ban evictions for most reasons during the pandemic.
- The Oakland Moratorium will last as long as the local state of emergency due to COVID-19.
- The Alameda County Moratorium will last until 60 days after the county-wide state of emergency ends.
- There are also state and federal eviction protections which will likely continue to change. It is important to stay updated on how these state and federal laws impact us. You can sign up for updates from Centro Legal de la Raza by texting 510-738-3906
- Visit our Workshops page to join our next training on Eviction Protections.
Rent Increase protections
The Oakland Moratorium also includes tighter limits on rent increases. If you are already covered by Rent Control in Oakland (check here), then during the emergency period your landlord cannot give you a rent increase of more than Oakland’s yearly CPI increase, which can be found here.
The only exception is if your landlord petitions the Oakland Rent Board for a “fair return”. Ordinarily there are ways a landlord might be able to increase your rent above that amount – like banking prior increases or capital improvements. This moratorium bans those types of increases.
To find out more about your protections during the pandemic, click on your concern below.