Yes, it does
Ok, the notice is valid. Let’s see if you have Oakland renters protection.
Do you live in one of the following:
- A hotel, motel, inn, or boarding houses AND you have not occupied the unit for more than 30 days (if you have been there more than 30 continuous days, you ARE likely covered by rent control)
- A unit or room in a hospital, senior home, extended care facility, convent, monastery or school dormitory
- A unit or room in a non-profit cooperative owned, occupied & controlled by the residents
- A building built on or after January 1, 1983 (Don’t know? Call the County Assessors at 510-272-3787 and ask them to tell you the year the unit was built and the effective date),
- A substantially rehabilitated building, IF the owner applied for exemption to rent control before October 20, 2017, and received a certificate of exemption from rent control
- A single-family home or a condominium sold separately AND you moved in after 1995
NOTE: If you live in housing where your rent is subsidized and/or regulated by the government, then click “I live in subsidized housing or have a section 8 voucher” below. This includes: a building managed by Oakland Housing Authority (OHA) or the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), or a unit where your rent is subsidized by Section 8 or another government entity (even if the property is privately owned).