Landlord hasn’t fixed anything after calling the inspectors again.
Ok, let’s take this one step further
If you have rent control, you can start a Rent Adjustment Program Petition.
Note: if you are in subsidized housing or have a section 8 voucher, you do not have rent control so the next step would be talking to private attorneys.
Do you have Rent Control?
- Was my building built before 1983? (Don’t know?: Call the County Assessors at (510) 272-3787 and ask them to tell you the year the unit was built and the effective date)
- Do I have more than one unit in my building? OR do you rent out a room in a single family home? OR Do you rent a single family home you moved into before 1995 that is not rented out to multiple tenants?
If you’ve answered yes to both of the above questions, you are likely to have rent control in Oakland as long as none of the following apply to your unit:
- A single family home you moved into after 1995 that is not rented out to multiple tenants.
- A condominium
- A unit or room in a hospital or senior home
- A hotel, motel or inn
- Housing subsidized by HUD, OHA or is Section 8
**Disclaimer: You may still have to argue that you are subject to Oakland rent control.