I called and sent them two letters, still nothing.
You’ve called twice now and waited and nothing has changed. Let’s see what else we can do by checking if you have rent control. In your case, Rent control is important because if you’re covered, you can file a petition and get your rent reduced through the Rent Adjustment program.
Do you have Rent Control?
- Was your building built before 1983? (Don’t know?: Call the County Assessors at 510) 272-3787 and ask them to tell you the year the unit was built and the effective date)
- Do you have more than one unit in your building? OR do you rent out a room in a single family home?
If yes to both of the above questions, you are likely rent controlled in Oakland as long as none of the following apply to your unit:
- A single family home you moved into after 1995 that is not rented out to multiple tenants with separate leases
- A condominium
- A unit or room in a hospital or senior home
- A hotel, motel or inn
- Housing subsidized by HUD, OHA or is Section 8
**Disclaimer: You may still have an argument that you are subject to Oakland rent control.