Landlord is influencing or attempting to influence me to vacate my unit with intimidation
It is illegal under CA law AB291 Immigrant Tenant Protection Act to intimidate a tenant out of their unit by using their status against them. Under this law, it is also illegal:
- To threaten to report tenants to immigration authorities, in retaliation for engaging in legally-protected activities or to influence them to vacate;
- To disclose information related to tenants’ immigration status;
- For lawyers to ask questions about tenants’ immigration status in discovery or at trial;
- For lawyers to report, or threaten to report, the immigration status of persons involved in housing cases.
Here’s what you can do:
- Write a letter describing the threats and asking the landlord to stop immediately.
- Talk to an immigration attorney and create an emergency plan.
- If problem continues, consult a non profit that specializes in housing. You may need to start a legal case against the landlord.